Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Underneath the surface

Unfortunately the foundation of the chapel "Nossa Senhora Boa Esperança" was not as solid as we had thought. As a consequence the roof collapsed last december (btw the tabernacle was the only item that remained undamaged) and damaged the neighbouring "Centro Pastoral" in which the parish offers several courses to prepare students for the university entrance examination. In addition the building hosts the "Centro de Capacitação Profissionalizante" where women can learn to become hairdressers, cooks and tailors. I was asked to take some pics of the construction site and started to explore the underground:

Quite a mess...

...and provisional.

Yes, I was down there

Manuel Messias, our structural engineer

It turned out to be a wise decision to take the pictures that day because the next day it started to pour down for several hours which led to the flooding of the whole area beneath the Centro Pastoral. I don't think it's necessary to give a detailed account of the driving experience that day. Let me just quote Padre Rafael who sat next to me while i was driving: "Quick close the windows there is a bus coming!", "Slow down there is a speed bump beneath the water!", "Careful, not too far to the right there is a brick in the puddle that you can't say but I know it well!" ;-)

View from the surface
(the water reached the red post)

No comments:

Post a Comment